Second Largest Zoo in Malaysia - Melaka Zoo
Attraction type: Melaka Zoo
Zoo Melaka is among the most famous and well known attractions in the area of Ayer Keroh. It is located along the Lebuh Ayer Keroh, which happens to be the central roadway that makes a link between the North-South Expressway and the State, approximately 13 kilometers away from downtown Melaka. With a total area of 54 acres, the Zoo Melaka is the second largest zoo in Malaysia.
The zoo opened was established in 1963. In its possession, it holds at least 1,200 animals from more than 200 species of mammals, 100 species of birds, and 22 species of reptiles. Among zoos, it is considered to be one of the oldest and it houses many of the endangered species surviving in this world, such as the Red Panda. It is also the first zoo of the region to have the Sumatran Rhinoceros and Gaur, both of which are very rare.
Furthermore, the Zoo Melaka also functions as a center for wildlife research, zoo education, conservation breeding, and a very popular destination among the tourists.
The Zoo Melaka is also a member of the South-East Asian Zoological Park Association (SEAZA).
Tips for Travelers
Visitors can view different animals from the exterior of their enclosure, as well as enjoy the exciting ride of a horse or even an elephant. This is especially popular among the children.
There is also a mini-safari expanded over an area of one and a half hectares. In the mini-safari, visitors can view the animals from a closer perspective while walking on top of a raised platform. The safari is beautifully landscaped by the National Parks and Wildlife Department, costing them around RM 7.2 million. Other animals, such as springboks, impalas, zebras, deer’s, emus and storks, are also included.
The most popular attractions of the zoo in Melaka are the Malayan Gaur, the Serow and the Malayan Tiger.
Some other admirable attractions are as follows:
Variety Animals Show
- Monday – Thursday: 11 am - 2 pm
- Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays: 10 am - 11 am and 2 pm - 3 pm
- Free entrance
Interaction with Elephant
- Personalized photo with personal camera : RM 2
- Elephant feeding: RM 2 (11.00 am - 12.00 noon and 4 pm -5 pm)
- RM2 (Adult)
- RM1 (Children)
- 10am-12pm and 2pm-4pm on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays only.
“Free-Ranging” Orang Utan
- 9.00 am - 5.00 pm
(Monday to Sunday except Friday)
Visitors can also visit the Night Zoo at the following times:
- Operation hours: 8.00 pm to 11.00 pm
- Entrance Fee: RM 10.00 (adults) , RM5.00 (children)
To get to the zoo, take the exit at the Ayer Keroh interchange from the North-South Expressway. Keep going straight until you see the signboard for Zoo Melaka.
Other attractions near the zoo are Tasik Ayer Keroh (the Ayer Keroh Lake), Malacca Africa Ostrich Park, Aborigines Museum, and Taman Buaya (the Melaka Crocodile Park).
For more information, please contact:
Ayer Keroh, 75450 Melaka
Telephone: +606-232 4053/ 4054
Fax: +606-232 5859
- Melaka Ayer Keroh
- Explore Taman Mini Malaysia in Melaka
- View the City of Melaka from Menara Taming Sari
- Mini Lisbon in Melaka - The Portuguese Square
- Cheng Ho Cultural Museum
- Al-Khawarizmi Astronomy Complex
- Jonker Street: The Street with Many Names
- Baba Nyonya Heritage Museum
- Melaka River - The Venice of the East
- A Famosa Resort Melaka, Malaysia